Skip to main content
Of Deanna Peoples and the Hall of Mirrors

Late September and early October mean one thing if you live in Dallas, The Great State Fair of Texas. Having lived here my whole life and attended the Fair regularly, I’m sure it’s lost on me what a special tradition it is. Sure other states have their “state” fair, but this is TEXAS man, and in Texas everything is bigger. That’s almost cliché, but it’s true. Growing up, the Fair was all about the midway. How many rides could we fit in without throwing up and having to go home? How much money could we lose to the Midway barkers telling us, “you only have to make one to get the prize!”?

The fair is about the food. World famous corny dogs. Texas Tornado-Taters. If it’s a solid food, they can, and will, fry it. They even had fried cheesecake this year. The Fair is about the Auto building, where “you to can view vehicles that you could NEVER be able to afford in TWO lifetimes!”. But most of all, when I go to the Fair now, it's about the nostalgia. I guess I really am getting old, because those memories of youth keep getting stronger. Call it “good ol’ days syndrome” I don’t care.

Sixth Grade. I had my first steady girlfriend. She wore my Pee-Wee football bracelet with my name on it, if you were the type that needed proof. I looked forward to the State Fair that year with extra anticipation for two reasons. One, our parents were dropping us off and we were going to be free to roam the Fairgrounds at our own will. Two, the girlfriend was gonna be with me. We hadn’t even held hands yet, much less kissed. But the possibilities made for many sleepless nights.

Fall in Texas is not like Fall “up north”. We pretty much go from Summer to winter. There are though, a few spectacular Fall days, and when they happen, you really notice. This day, the sky was a spectacular shade of blue, a Technicolor blue. The air was crisp, a welcome relief from the dog days of Dallas summers. We had been wandering the grounds for about an hour uneventfully. I had won her a mirror with Reo Speedwagons logo on it with my uncanny dart throwing abilities. We had already had the requisite corny dogs. I could dela it no longer. It was time to make “the move”. As we passed the funhouse, I said “lets go in there!” Everyone knew the funhouse was where you made your move. Into the funhouse we went, past the rotating barrels, through the "air up the skirt shooter" and in to the hall of mirrors. I don’t remember too much, other than being debilitatingly nervous, and really don’t remember the first kiss all that well. The second one though, that was a different story. The pressure was off.

I wonder how many times the hall of mirrors hosted a “first kiss”. Exiting the Fun House on that perfect October day, life could not be any better, any simpler. I was even bold enough to begin planning next years trip with her to the Fair. We would skip the Fun House and go to the Lazer Light Extravaganza. It’s dark in there, and they have bean bags to lay on…

Four months later, she broke up with me. First heartbreak. Didn’t even give me my bracelet back. Girlfriends would come and go. But you always remember your first girlfriend right? To this day it still never fails, when we get those one or two perfect Fall afternoons, I flashback to the Hall of Mirrors. Sound like a cheesy Wonder Years episode don’t it?

Comments

Lee said…
Great post, Bacon...... You may refer to your story as a "cheezy episode of the Wonder Years", but I gotta feeling everyone who reads your words can IDENTIFY with that special/magic/happy/sad/awkward/ideal time of their lives.

Thanks for the memories! You've got a great gift, man.
Mmmbacon said…
Thanks for the comments fellas...

Popular posts from this blog

You are connected to Castle Rock BBS (9600bps) Local Telix User

Having always been a technology fan, especially into computers, you learn something early on. The Early Adopter Tax. If it’s new, hot, and you want it now, you will pay double for it compared to the price that it will surely sink to within six months. It’s always fun (and somewhat painful) to go back and see what you paid for early gadgets. I have blogged about this before, having obtained my first computer from my dad who “traded” a complete central air and heat system for our Atari Setup. At the time, we came out REAL good on that deal. The early Atari’s were EXPENSIVE. Looking back, it was insane. In the late 80’s early 90’s, before the proliferation of Teh Interwebs, BBS’ were all the rage. I ran a fairly successful single line BBS called Castle Rock for almost 3 years. The early days of online computing, speeds were not gauged on your CPU , but your modem was the bottle neck. For a long time, we were stuck at 300 baud, which was insanely slow. Then the jump to 1200 baud.
Football Isn't a Contact Sport, It's a Collision Sport... Duffy Daugherty In my book, the start of the NFL season should be a national holiday. The previous Friday and the following Monday should be free of work, all focus should be allowed on the game. I'm serious. Even the wife, who, bless her heart, knows how much football season means to me, had the Chili going before kickoff. The chips and dip set out and the beverages were extra chilled. During the NFL season, my Sunday consists of the following: Get up at 10:00am and start watching the ESPN Gameday. Fire up the wireless laptop and get connected to DirecTV's Game Tracker. This in conjunction with DirecTV's NFL Sunday ticket package is the ultimate way to watch the games. 11:30 fire up the lunch for the game (Frito Pie, Chili, Brats, etc., etc). 12:00, settle in for the next NINE hours of gridiron action. Am I sick? Probably. Do I care. Not a bit, ya only get 17 weeks of it, so I savor it all.
Ralphing Kisses After reading my buddy Escapes post about his faithful dog Maynard, it seems a good time for a dog story. The day before Christmas Eve, we had decided to go out to eat. I had started gathering the candy that I was going to put in the stockings and had left it on the corner of the end table out of site. Or so I thought. When we returned from dinner, I notice little bits of what looked like aluminum foil around the house. I followed the trail until it ended directly under the Christmas tree. There sat an empty bag ( a ONE pound bag mind you) of Hershey Kisses. Shaye the Weenie dog, well into her 10th year had eaten a pound of chocolate in our absence. She was also nowhere to be seen. Anytime we return to the house and she didn’t greet you at the door wagging her tail is a bad sign. It usually meant she did something she knew she would get in trouble for and was firmly entrenched under the back corner of the bed, her favorite hiding spot. She was there,