Skip to main content

Odd Thomas by Dean Kootz (An AudioBook Review)

I have been very lax in blogging as of late and REALLY lax in the Audiobook reviews. One of the main reasons that I had started this blog was for a place to post reviews of Audio Books that I have completed. I’m going to try to remedy that as i finish them now.

I listen to my Audiobooks exclusively in the car. Previously I would load a book on the IPod and use it. For my birthday last year, I got the CDA-9856 CD Receiver. This unit has a really nice interface with the IPod. Not just an auxiliary jack, but a cable that allows control and view of the Ipod interface through the acual head unit. The CD also will play MP3’s. So, now when I listen to a book, I will burn it (in mp3 format ) to a CD. Pop the CD in the car. This may seem to be the hard wa to do it, but it works really well. When the Audiobook resides on the IPod, there is no way to “bookmark” the track. Sure you power off the Ipod, it picks back where you left off. Before, I would lose my last little bit of charge at the worst moment, therefore losing my place in the book. Now, with the Audibook on CD, switching inputs marks my spot. There are days when I’m coming home after a hard day’s work and desperately need a volt of Three Cord power rock to get me home. In this case, I just change the aux to the IPod. When Im ready to get back to the book, aux it back to the CD, where it picks up where it left off. The only drawback to this would be if the wife got in the car and I had left it on CD.

On to the review. I have always enjoyed Dean Koontz. He seems to always have a positive message. Odd Thomas is the first in a series (three currently). The main character, Odd (Yes that’s his first name) Thomas, is a 20 year old short order cook, in the fictional town of Pico Mundo. Odd has a gift, and to focus on this gift, Odd’s goal in life is to simplify. He doesn’t own a car, has a low paying job, and lives in an efficiency apartment above a garage. He lives like this because he wants to be able to focus on his “gift”. Odd sees dead people. He can communicate with dead people (though, they cannot speak to him). Odd’s lot in life, is to help these restless spirits find peace so they can leave this world and go on to the next life. Sounds exactly like The Sixth Sense doesn’t it? And I think that’s a major reason that I can recommend this book. When the plot was being fleshed out, I was ready for a cardboard cutout rip-off. The un-original plot was made spellbinding with his pacing and a GREAT cast of characters.

Things pick up when Odd starts seeing an usually large number of “Bodachs” (a supernatural harbinger of bad things) roaming the streets and around various spots about town. Odd realizes that something big is about to happen in the little desert town of Pico Mundo. The greater part of the book finds Odd racing against the clock to find out exactly what is going to happen, and to try to save as many people as he can before the deadly incident takes place. As the book reaches its crescendo, I will admit the ending truly surprised me. I should have seen it coming, but alas I was too involved with the characters.

As always the key to a great Audiobook is the actual performance. David Aaron Baker (a reader that I had not heard up to this point) conveyed the character well, subtly naïve, but always seemingly in control with purpose. The best thing that I can say about this Audiobook, is the fact that, on multiple occasions, I found myself sitting in the driveway, or the parking lot at work for “5 more minutes!” because I had to know what was going to happen next. I highly recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are connected to Castle Rock BBS (9600bps) Local Telix User

Having always been a technology fan, especially into computers, you learn something early on. The Early Adopter Tax. If it’s new, hot, and you want it now, you will pay double for it compared to the price that it will surely sink to within six months. It’s always fun (and somewhat painful) to go back and see what you paid for early gadgets. I have blogged about this before, having obtained my first computer from my dad who “traded” a complete central air and heat system for our Atari Setup. At the time, we came out REAL good on that deal. The early Atari’s were EXPENSIVE. Looking back, it was insane. In the late 80’s early 90’s, before the proliferation of Teh Interwebs, BBS’ were all the rage. I ran a fairly successful single line BBS called Castle Rock for almost 3 years. The early days of online computing, speeds were not gauged on your CPU , but your modem was the bottle neck. For a long time, we were stuck at 300 baud, which was insanely slow. Then the jump to 1200 baud.
Football Isn't a Contact Sport, It's a Collision Sport... Duffy Daugherty In my book, the start of the NFL season should be a national holiday. The previous Friday and the following Monday should be free of work, all focus should be allowed on the game. I'm serious. Even the wife, who, bless her heart, knows how much football season means to me, had the Chili going before kickoff. The chips and dip set out and the beverages were extra chilled. During the NFL season, my Sunday consists of the following: Get up at 10:00am and start watching the ESPN Gameday. Fire up the wireless laptop and get connected to DirecTV's Game Tracker. This in conjunction with DirecTV's NFL Sunday ticket package is the ultimate way to watch the games. 11:30 fire up the lunch for the game (Frito Pie, Chili, Brats, etc., etc). 12:00, settle in for the next NINE hours of gridiron action. Am I sick? Probably. Do I care. Not a bit, ya only get 17 weeks of it, so I savor it all.
Ralphing Kisses After reading my buddy Escapes post about his faithful dog Maynard, it seems a good time for a dog story. The day before Christmas Eve, we had decided to go out to eat. I had started gathering the candy that I was going to put in the stockings and had left it on the corner of the end table out of site. Or so I thought. When we returned from dinner, I notice little bits of what looked like aluminum foil around the house. I followed the trail until it ended directly under the Christmas tree. There sat an empty bag ( a ONE pound bag mind you) of Hershey Kisses. Shaye the Weenie dog, well into her 10th year had eaten a pound of chocolate in our absence. She was also nowhere to be seen. Anytime we return to the house and she didn’t greet you at the door wagging her tail is a bad sign. It usually meant she did something she knew she would get in trouble for and was firmly entrenched under the back corner of the bed, her favorite hiding spot. She was there,