Skip to main content
Drag n Dropout

Im the systems administrator for our company, were approaching 200 users and have a decent sized network. Peoples main duties during the day are to access CAD files on our main file server. When starting a new job, they create a project folder under the proper year, month folder on the server. It was pointed out around noon yesterday that there were a range of files missing on the server. Cries of "The server is having some problems" or "the network sure is acting weird" began to filter down. After doing some research we found the missing jobs were in a 2004 folder nested under the 2001 folder. Everything was put back where it belongs. Another computer illiterate mullethead accidentally drug the file panicked an stopped it, never bothering to tell anyone. Another prime example of the network is guilty until proven innocent.

AIF (Audiobooking is Fundamental)

One of my other big hobbies is to listen to audiobooks on my spiffy Ipod. I have been downloading books from Usenet for almost 3 years now and have almost 90 CD's of audiobooks in .mp3 format (probalbly over 200 audiobooks). I listen to and from work, and can complete a book in a couple of weeks. With all that is going on these days, I NEVER have time to physically read anymore, so audiobooks are a way to stay semi-cultured and up on todays pop literature. Today I began to catalog all the books with their descriptions in single webpage so I can access whats what in a single location. I got about 20 cd's into it and realized what a task this will be.

Survivor Redux

With the finale of Survivor last week, (and a filler show airing this week) marks what I like to call Survivor Drought. This is the lull that happens before the next season of Survivor starts. Survivor 9 (rumored locales are Vanuatu and even deep in a Nevada desert) probably will not start until next fall. What to do in the mean time? Buy the DVD's of season 1 and watch them on Thursday night to carry you into the new season. How BAD is that! Since there is one more (albeit filler) episode of Survivor: All Stars, we decided to start tonight instead of the traditional Thursday. It was really neat to watch the first episode of the first season. There were no previous strategies, you were watching them develop strategies that are still used today, 8 series later. I had forgotten how arrogant Richard Hatch (the eventual winner) was, but when he stated 15 minute into the episode that they should go ahead and write the million dollar check out to him, cause he already has it won, I was quickly reminded. I guess he backed it up. (No pun intended).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are connected to Castle Rock BBS (9600bps) Local Telix User

Having always been a technology fan, especially into computers, you learn something early on. The Early Adopter Tax. If it’s new, hot, and you want it now, you will pay double for it compared to the price that it will surely sink to within six months. It’s always fun (and somewhat painful) to go back and see what you paid for early gadgets. I have blogged about this before, having obtained my first computer from my dad who “traded” a complete central air and heat system for our Atari Setup. At the time, we came out REAL good on that deal. The early Atari’s were EXPENSIVE. Looking back, it was insane. In the late 80’s early 90’s, before the proliferation of Teh Interwebs, BBS’ were all the rage. I ran a fairly successful single line BBS called Castle Rock for almost 3 years. The early days of online computing, speeds were not gauged on your CPU , but your modem was the bottle neck. For a long time, we were stuck at 300 baud, which was insanely slow. Then the jump to 1200 baud.
Football Isn't a Contact Sport, It's a Collision Sport... Duffy Daugherty In my book, the start of the NFL season should be a national holiday. The previous Friday and the following Monday should be free of work, all focus should be allowed on the game. I'm serious. Even the wife, who, bless her heart, knows how much football season means to me, had the Chili going before kickoff. The chips and dip set out and the beverages were extra chilled. During the NFL season, my Sunday consists of the following: Get up at 10:00am and start watching the ESPN Gameday. Fire up the wireless laptop and get connected to DirecTV's Game Tracker. This in conjunction with DirecTV's NFL Sunday ticket package is the ultimate way to watch the games. 11:30 fire up the lunch for the game (Frito Pie, Chili, Brats, etc., etc). 12:00, settle in for the next NINE hours of gridiron action. Am I sick? Probably. Do I care. Not a bit, ya only get 17 weeks of it, so I savor it all.
Ralphing Kisses After reading my buddy Escapes post about his faithful dog Maynard, it seems a good time for a dog story. The day before Christmas Eve, we had decided to go out to eat. I had started gathering the candy that I was going to put in the stockings and had left it on the corner of the end table out of site. Or so I thought. When we returned from dinner, I notice little bits of what looked like aluminum foil around the house. I followed the trail until it ended directly under the Christmas tree. There sat an empty bag ( a ONE pound bag mind you) of Hershey Kisses. Shaye the Weenie dog, well into her 10th year had eaten a pound of chocolate in our absence. She was also nowhere to be seen. Anytime we return to the house and she didn’t greet you at the door wagging her tail is a bad sign. It usually meant she did something she knew she would get in trouble for and was firmly entrenched under the back corner of the bed, her favorite hiding spot. She was there,